Thursday, August 21, 2008

Gas Prices!

Just a quick note on gas, since we are living in part of the world that has all the mega producers! I went to fill up the Jeep Laredo...I would say similar to a Cherokee, maybe a tad smaller. We are still renting a car since we can't buy one until we get Rich's work visa. Anyway we pulled in to the station, which I might add are sometimes hard to find. There don't seem to be that many and they are all the same, Enoc (I think that's right), occassionally I'll see a BP. Anyway with every Enoc there is usually a mini-mart attached and a McDonalds, so you can get your milk, fill up your car, and have your dinner all in the same stop!

You'll notice as you pull in that there are no gas prices published and you can only pay in cash. The government sets the price and I'm sure you can find the price somewhere but I don't know where that is yet! So when I pull in I make sure I know exactly how much cash I have so I don't go over that amount and end up with some fine I have to pay or a call to the local police! They are all full serve, so I tell the guy to fill up but I only have about 260 dirhams. He looks at me like he doesn't understand and then when it dawns on him he smiles and says something like don't worry will be much less! 260 dhms is roughly about $72. So he fills up my car, cleans my windows and my bill comes to 95 dhms, roughly about $26! I gave him 105 total which included a small tip and away we went!