Tuesday, August 12, 2008

the Italian Washing Machine

Hello!

I'm not sure who thought inventing a machine that does a wash and dry cycle in the same machine was a good idea but I have to say he/she was crazy. The only thing I can think was that someone thought it was a good idea for people who were tight on space.

So when I first arrive I have no luggage and one machine that will wash and dry your clothes in one cycle, with everything written in Italian. I finally broke down on the night of day 2 and tried to figure it out. It took me about 30 minutes to finally get my first load going! Imagine 1 knob with the number 30, 40, 50, 60, 90, 100, 110, 120, 140 on it and another knob with the numbers 1 through 19 on it. I suppose after doing about my upteenth load I will begin to remember what each number stands for but for now everytime I want to do a load I have to consult the manual, set to the English page (since everything written on the machine itself is in Italian), to remind me what each knob does. So you set your temperature and then you set your time and off it goes...and goes...my first load took about 2 1/2 hours at least. And did I tell you the drum holds about 2 beach towels comfortably, so if you've ever done laundry for a family of five, then you know from what I've described that I am doing laundry all day, every day! One load comes out and the next one goes in. And forget about trying to take something out to hang dry between the wash cycle and dry cycle, well at least I haven't figured that out yet. I tried to do just a dry cycle but as soon as the manuel started talking about turning off water valves and opening drying vents I said to heck with that.

Since we've been here everyone talks about someone that will come in and clean and iron for you. Well in the States I hardly iron, well now I know why they all iron. When your clothes come out of a machine so small everything comes out completely wrinkled. So now, added to my list of things to get is an ironing board and iron and maybe that someone who will come in and iron!!

Toys and stuff arrive last night, so today we will be unpacking. The girls were very excited to see all of their things, it's like they are brand new again!

Love to you all,

Jennifer

No comments: